New Tier 4 rules
Anywhere in South East, East and London (including Wokingham Borough) that was in Tier 3 has now moved into Tier 4, which means that new lockdown rules applied as of one minute past midnight. (00:01am Sunday December 20)
- Residents in Tier 4 areas must stay at home, apart from limited exemptions set out in law.
- Non-essential retail, indoor gyms and leisure facilities, and personal care services must close.
- People must work from home if they can, but may travel to work if this is not possible.
- People should not enter or leave Tier 4 areas, and Tier 4 residents must not stay overnight away from home.
- Individuals can only meet one person from another household in an outdoor public space.
- Communal worship can continue.
- It will not be permitted to travel abroad apart from limited exceptions, such as for work purposes.
New Christmas rules
Those living in tier 4 areas should not mix with anyone outside their own household at Christmas, though support bubbles will remain in place for those at particular risk of loneliness or isolation.
Across the rest of the country, the Christmas rules allowing up to three households to meet will now be limited to Christmas Day only, rather than the five days as previously set out.